What’s a career fair? A career fairs help you find jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities, and learn more about a particular company. This is a great way to meet lots of employers in one room while on campus.
Here are a few tips to help you navigate a career fair
- Download the Student Guide app.
You can use it to identify the companies that fit your job search, mark your favorites, and navigate with our career fair map.
- Attend the Backstage Pass tour an hour before the fair opens to get a tour of the space and meet employers before it gets crowded, e-mail Dani Amtmann for more information.
- Stop by the Career Center table the day of the fair to:
- Review your résumé
- Practice your introduction speech
- Find out who is looking to interview the following day
- Schedule an appointment for a career advising session
- Find one of our Career Center Peer Advisors to help you connect with employers.
- Wear a business-casual set of clothes if possible. Looking nice tells employers that you care about yourself and you’re serious about your professional development and career.
What are the benefits of career fairs?
- Interview practice
- Internship and job openings
- Industry info
What’s the best way to get started?
Step 1: Research, Research, Research. You should also take time to think about how your goals can complement those of the organization. Make sure to ask lots of questions:
- What is your company’s culture like?
- How many years does the typical employee stay with your company?
- Are there opportunities for additional training within your company?
Step 2: Try to think beyond a company’s branding, be open to adding other possible organizations that may grab your attention.
Step 3. Make a good first impression and be yourself by:
- Making eye contact
- Using a firm handshake
- Speaking to be heard
- Listening—Remember, these recruiters are eager to meet you, and your job is to try and stand out from the crowd. Share your story, but don’t forget to make room for listening.
Step 4. Remember to gather business cards for your follow-up. It always makes a great impression on recruiters if you send them a quick thank you e-mail after the career fair.
Another great tip is to take a moment to jot down a couple of notes from your conversation after you’ve spoken to a recruiter and have their card. When you send that thank you e-mail, they’ll be impressed you remembered what they said!
Now you’re ready to make the most out of any Career Fair. So go to it and remember to have fun!
Always know the Career Center is here to help you succeed! If you have any questions please feel free to make an appointment with one of our counselors at 220 Hendricks Hall or call us at 541-346-3235. We would love to help!
Employer Relations and Events Coordinator, UO Career Center