The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette is a mission driven organization, which seeks individuals who are enthusiastic and passionate about our mission and vision. We do this by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice.
Objective: Under the direction of the Program Director the Camp Counselor will instruct week long day camps in a variety of sports and or enrichment subjects.
Job Responsibilities: The Camp Counselor is responsible for teaching in a fun and safe camp environment. Creating an atmosphere that will provide students with the opportunity to develop new friendships improve self-esteem, self-confidence and develop strong social skills.
* Lead students in camp activities.
* Create and implement curriculum.
* Establish good rapport with parents and children.
* Keep accurate rosters and attendance records.
* Communicate effectively with school staff and program directors.
* Provide safe and clean environment for children.
* Reliably attend day camps in various locations including Vancouver, Gresham, Clackamas and West Linn. Hours - Full day 8:30-2:30, Half day 9:00-Noon.
* Must have the physical and mental ability to teach a variety of athletic and enrichment programs and move equipment as necessary. (Approx. 25 pounds).
* Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation and follow established procedures.
* Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforces safety regulations, and applies appropriate management techniques.
* Must pass YMCA background check
* Experience working with children and parents, preferably with a programming background
* Must have reliable transportation
1. Demonstrates in word and action the Y's Christian principles of love, honesty, respect, responsibility and service and a commitment to the Y's vision and mission.
2. Builds authentic relationships in the service of enhancing individual and team performance to support the Y's work.
3. Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
4. Values all people for their unique talents and takes an active role in promoting practices that support diversity, inclusion, and cultural competence.
5. Demonstrates and fosters a strong commitment to achieving goals in a manner that provides quality experiences.
6. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
7. Assesses, minimizes and prevents risk, practices consideration for the safety of others, adheres to Association standards of proper notification of incidents and care of the work environment and equipment, identifies and responds to circumstances appropriately.
8. Meets attendance expectations, follows Association procedures for requesting and documenting absences, is punctual, reliable, and adaptable, takes initiative, and accepts responsibility.
9. Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills, perceives, understands and manages interactions appropriately, is accountable for own actions, capitalizes on learning opportunities, and is open to performance feedback and coaching.
10. Demonstrates compliance in the following areas: Compli, employee paperwork, performance evaluations, personnel policies, and procedures i.e. dress code, code of conduct. Attends mandatory trainings and meetings, acquires and maintains required certifications for current position.
11. Values and supports the many facets of philanthropy as an essential component in achieving the Y's mission.
12. Demonstrates and sustains the Y's nonprofit operational model.
Please See Job Description