This is a uniformed law enforcement position with emphasis on Diversity and Community Policing while conducting law enforcement and crime prevention work. The City of Portland, Community Police Officer works with the diverse communities of our city to preserve life, maintain human rights, protect property and promote individual responsibility and community commitment. The Community Police Officer will function and communicate effectively within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds. New officers will work various shifts and geographical areas as assigned. Additional information is available at https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/faq/
ENTRY LEVEL POLICE OFFICER QUALIFICATIONS
At the time of application:
• Must be 21 years old.
• Possess a High School Diploma or GED.
AND possess at least one of the following:
• An Associate’s Degree or 60-semester (90-quarter) hours from an accredited college or university. Courses must be 100 level or above.
• 2 years of U.S. Military active duty service or 4 years reserve service under honorable conditions.
• 2 years as a Portland Police Bureau Reserve Officer with a minimum of 500 hours after initial training.
• 2 years of continuous service and currently working for Portland Police Bureau or Portland Bureau of Emergency Communications.
• 2 years of continuous service and currently working as a:
o Law enforcement officer exercising police powers for a recognized federal, state, county, or city (municipal) agency.
o State or federal certified parole or probation officer.
o State or federal certified corrections officer.
• Possess a valid Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate.
ALL APPLICANTS must meet each of the following conditions.
• Must be a U.S. Citizen within one (1) year of employment. Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application. (Application for U.S. citizenship requires 5 years of residency)
• Must possess a valid driver’s license within 30 days after applying for this position.
• Have no excessive traffic violations.
• Have no felony convictions.
• Have no conviction of a crime involving domestic violence.
• Have not used any marijuana products within the last year.
• Have no dishonorable discharge from any branch of military service.
• At the time of hire, members will not expose any offensive forms of body art while on duty. More information can be found at https://www.joinportlandpolice.com/faq/
• Must have vision correctable to 20/30. Additional information on medical requirements can be found on the DPSST F-2 at http://www.oregon.gov/dpsst/SC/pages/cjforms.aspx