Cascade AIDS Project (CAP), the oldest and largest AIDS Service Organization (ASO) in Oregon and Southwest Washington, is committed to preventing HIV infections, supporting and empowering people living with or affected by HIV and eliminating HIV-related stigma and health disparities. Learn more about us at http://www.cascadeaids.org/.
CAP is excited to announce that we are currently hiring a full-time (1.0 FTE) Health Insurance Navigator. The Health Insurance Navigator provides targeted outreach, education, and application assistance to those who are eligible to access health care coverage through the Oregon Health Insurance Marketplace Healthcare.gov) and the Oregon Health Plan (Medicaid). CAP’s Health Insurance Navigation program focuses on reducing health disparities in our community by primarily focusing on working with people living with HIV (PLWH), the LGBTQ community, and people seeking pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP).
• Providing direct application assistance, helping consumers navigate the process of health insurance enrollment/renewal and health care systems as a subject matter expert
• Conducting outreach through in-person events, social media, and other innovative strategies to targeted populations explaining consumer options relevant to population need and how to navigate the Oregon Health Insurance Marketplace website (Healthcare.gov) and the Oregon Health Plan (OHP, Medicaid) ONE system
• Providing one-on-one health insurance education sessions about topics such as how to use health insurance, understanding health insurance terms, and how to navigate the healthcare system
• Staffing enrollment clinics and other off-site locations for the purposes of reaching targeted populations
We are looking for an individual with a passion for ensuring people have access to health care as well as a strong background in addressing barriers to healthcare through advocacy and education efforts with consumers and providers. This position is based at CAP’s main office with weekly travel to other locations throughout Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas Counties, including Prism Health, CAP’s newly opened LGBTQ-focused primary care health center in SE Portland. Occasional evening and weekend work is required. This is a non-management, union-represented position.
This position is funded through 6/30/2018, with possible extension.
• Two (2) years of relevant work experience (i.e. community health, social services, insurance, etc.) or One (1) year experience of relevant work experience combined with a Bachelor’s Degree in human/social services field (social work, public or community health, psychology) or related field
• Previous work experience with consumer health insurance and/or knowledge of Oregon health insurance options and Coordinated Care Organizations
• Previous experience conducting community organizing or community outreach and demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate with community stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to manage a detail-oriented process, like applying for health insurance
• Ability to work independently with accountability and exercise sound judgment, discretion and professionalism at all times
• Experience working with ethnic, racial, economic and sexually diverse populations and strong understanding of issues relevant to PLWHA, gay/bi/trans men, and the LBGTQ community and how those issues affect or influence service delivery
• Demonstrated computer and keyboard proficiency using Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook) and working knowledge of the internet including social media platforms and applications
• Valid Driver’s License and access to a reliable vehicle (If candidate does not currently have a Driver’s License at time of hire, they will have 3 months to obtain one.)
• Previous professional or volunteer experience working with people living with HIV
• Current certification and training as an application assister for OHP & the ONE system
• Current certification and training as an application assister for OHIM/Healthcare.gov
• Knowledge of and experience collaborating with HIV/AIDS and LGBTQ community partners
• Experience providing services to people who have experienced homelessness, mental illness, and/or substance dependency
• Previous experience recruiting, training, and supporting volunteers
• Verbal and written fluency in English and Spanish
Compensation: Salary is set by Union contract at $37,000. Additional compensation includes: employer-paid health, dental, vision, short-term and long-term disability and life insurance; 401(k) retirement plan with generous employer matching contribution, 125C cafeteria savings plan; generous vacation and health leave benefits.
NOTE: This is a union represented position.
Closing Date: Application review will be reviewed on a continuing basis. Applications will continue being accepted until the position is filled.
To apply for this position, mail, email, fax, or deliver the following three documents:
1) a complete cover letter (attached as Word or pdf) that serves as an example of your writing and addresses how you meet all of the required qualifications specific to the position you are applying for, 2) your resume, and 3) a completed CAP Employment application (available at http://www.cascadeaids.org/about/careers/) to:
Cascade AIDS Project
Health Insurance Navigator Position
520 NW Davis St., Suite 215
Portland, Oregon 97209
Or by email to:
Cascade AIDS Project is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people living with HIV are strongly encouraged to apply