Questions employers ask
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why should we hire you?
Interest in the Organization
- Why are you interested in this organization/position?
- How did you become interested in this field?
Motivation and Accomplishments
- Walk me through your résumé - what jobs have you held? How did you get them? What did you learn?
- Have you held any leadership responsibilities? If so, what were they and what did you learn from this experience?
- What do you consider to be your most significant accomplishment? Why?
- Why did you decide to attend the [name of school]?
- Why did you choose your particular college major? If you were starting over, would you choose the same one? If so, why? If not, why not?
- In looking at your academic program, which classes did you enjoy the most? The least? Why?
Maturity and Self-Awareness
- Do you feel you have done the best scholastic work of which you are capable? If so, why? If not, why not?
- What are your greatest strengths? Weaknesses?
- What are your short-term goals? Long-term?
Work Environment and Preferences
- What are two or three things that are most important to you in a job?
- In what type of work environment are you most comfortable?
- Define teamwork.
- Are you willing to relocate? To travel? If so, what percentage of the time would you consider traveling? If you are willing to relocate, do you have a geographical preference?
Behavioral Interview Questions
This interview technique is used to evaluate your competency to perform a specific aspect of the job.
S - Present the Situation and the role you played
O - Identify the Obstacles you faced
A - Describe your Actions
R - Summarize the Results
- What was the toughest decision you had to make at a previous job?
- Tell me about the most difficult person you’ve had to communicate with.
- Tell me about a group project you were involved in. What was your role?
- Tell me about a time when you had to persuade someone to your point of view?
- Describe a major problem you encountered and the actions you took to resolve it.
- Tell me about a time you had to overcome disappointment.
- Tell me about a time when you demonstrated assertiveness?
- What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced in college and how did you deal with it?
- What kind of pressure did you feel on your last job? How did you handle it?
- Describe a situation where you had to do several tasks at the same time.