Having a great summary is important when you have a limited amount of time to attract attention. The goal of the summary is, in essence, to sum up you—your personality and qualifications. Plus, it should give employers a clear sense of what you are looking for, what you value, and where you want to go.
Here are three themes to follow when making your LinkedIn summary.
Mission Based Summary
- Describe a specific vocation or calling that inspires you.
- Write about a specific field you are interested in and why.
- Detail specific values that appeal to you.
Personal Summary (share something unique)
- Describe your character traits to help people learn more about you.
- Summarize an impactful trip abroad or adventure that was a shaping experience for you. What skills did you learn?
- Highlight your creativity and experience outside of traditional academics.
- List your involvement and focus on leadership roles.
- List types of volunteering projects you have been involved in.
- List awards from notable projects.
Remember keep it short and sweet.
It doesn’t matter which summary type you choose. The importance is having a welcoming, well-written summary that will grab attention.
UO LinkedIn Groups you should add now
- University of Oregon
- University of Oregon Career Center
- UO Career Center Portland
- University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication
- University of Oregon—Charles H. Lundquist College of Business
- PODS Career Services for UO College of Design
- University of Oregon School of Law
Always know the Career Center is here to help you succeed! If you have any questions please feel free to make an appointment with one of our counselors at 220 Hendricks Hall or call us at 541-346-3235. We would love to help!