This is a sworn law enforcement position with emphasis on Community Policing while conducting
law enforcement and crime prevention work. Portland Police Officers work with the diverse communities in the City of Portland to preserve life, maintain human rights, protect property and promote individual responsibility and community commitment. A Portland Police Officer will function and communicate effectively within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors,orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds
At the time of application:
• Must be 21 years old.
• Possess a High School Diploma or GED.
AND possess at least one of the following:
• An Associate's Degree or 60-semester (90-quarter) hours from an accredited college oruniversity. Courses must be 100 level or above.
• 2 years of U.S. Military active duty service or 4 years reserve service under honorable
• 2 years as a Portland Police Bureau Reserve Officer with a minimum of 500 hours after
• 2 years of continuous service and currently working for Portland Police Bureau or Portland
Bureau of Emergency Communications.
• 2 years of continuous service and currently working as a:
◦ Law enforcement officer exercising police powers for a recognized federal, state,county, or city (municipal) agency.
◦ State or federal certified parole or probation officer.
◦ State or federal certified corrections officer.
• Possess a valid Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) certificate
PRIOR TO APPLYING FOR THIS POSITION, you must take and pass the Frontline Written Exam within the last 12 months. Applicants will schedule and take
the Frontline Written Exam (NTN) at
◦ Additional information can be found at
◦ Upon passing the Frontline Written Exam, applicants will complete the on-line application and supplemental questionnaire.
Applicants successfully passing both the Frontline Written Exam and supplemental questionnaire review will be placed on an equally ranked eligible list of candidates
and scheduled for the next step of the application process.