Are you a University of Oregon student interested in developing your leadership capacity through community action? Lead for Change is a leadership development opportunity hosted through the Holden Center’s Days of Service program. As a cohort, students will strengthen their group facilitation skills by leading community action projects during the Days of Service; develop their knowledge about socially responsible leadership through regular cohort learning activities; and build meaningful relationships with the campus and Eugene-Springfield communities.
• Work with the Community Engagement team to lead and facilitate groups of volunteers during days of service
• Serve as a liaison between the Holden Center and community-based organizations at days of service events
• Promote days of service and other community engagement opportunities on campus
• Actively engage in monthly learning cohort activities
Student Outcomes and Resume Builders:
By serving as a member of lead for change, students will be able to:
• Identify, articulate and examine personal strengths; and learn how to apply those strengths to specific problems and situations
• Strengthen skills in community outreach, communication (verbal, nonverbal, and written) with diverse constituents, group management and facilitation, and more.
• Gain knowledge and build relationships with the broader UO community and the Eugene-Springfield Communities
Who are we?
The Holden Center for Leadership and Community Engagement prepares UO students to bring about positive change on campus, in the community, and across the globe. Our mission is to develop learning experiences that prepare students to grow, empower others, and make substantive contributions to their communities. This is consistent to UO’s own mission: fostering the next generation of leaders and informed participants within a global community.
• Demonstrated interest in community service, social justice, and/or leadership for change
• Ability to work effectively both as an individual and as a member of a team
• Available to attend cohort orientation on 09/29/2018.
• Available to serve as a project leader for the following Days of Service:
o MLK Day of Service; 01/19/2019
o Earth Day of Service; 04/20/2019 or 04/27/2019
• Available to participate in monthly cohort leadership development sessions (2018-2019 dates to be set)
• Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in good academic standing
Submit the following items electronically to email@example.com, or drop off at the Holden Center Suite 047 EMU 09/21/2018:
• A resume highlighting relevant experience
• A cover letter addressing the following questions:
o Why are you interested in this leadership development opportunity?
o What experiences have you had that would inform your role as a project leader on a day of service?
o Why, to you, is it important for students to engage with the Eugene and Springfield communities?