Head Coach Position for South Eugene Rowing Club
South Eugene Rowing Club (SERC) is recruiting for a qualified head crew coach to start in September 2018. The successful candidate will be enthusiastic, energetic, an excellent communicator, and have a passion for working with young people. Key skills include working cooperatively with assistant coaches, communicating with rowers and parents, recruiting new rowers, and working closely with both the co-located masters rowing program (Oregon Association of Rowing – OAR) and the University of Oregon Rowing Club.
The SERC mission is to develop personal character, an ethic of cooperation, and physical fitness within the team culture of crew. SERC practices at Dexter Lake just 25 minutes from downtown Eugene. The head coach is responsible for leading a 40-50 member co-ed rowing team for students in 8th-12th grades.
Eugene is a vibrant and dynamic college town that is home to the University of Oregon Ducks and is also known as Track Town USA. It is also Oregon’s second-largest city. Here you will find an active outdoor lifestyle and a high quality of life with a wonderful mix of arts, entertainment, culture, and nature. The Eugene/Springfield area is a great place to live and to row!
- Supervise daily practices, both water and land
- Coach men’s and women’s JV and Varsity rowers
- Help select assistant coaches. Supervise and mentor these coaches
- Actively recruit new rowers
- Develop our club calendar including practice and regatta schedules
- Register team for regattas and develop race line-ups with assistant coaches
- Maintain safety standards
- Work with our Parent Steering Committee and Board of Directors to grow and continually improve the program
- Oversee equipment maintenance and repairs
- Transport equipment to and from regattas with truck and trailer
- Transport rowers to and from practice in school district-owned van occasionally as needed
- US Rowing rules and regulations
- Regatta procedures and regulations with experience participating in and coaching multi-entrant competitions and regattas
- Effective rowing and coaching techniques
- Strength and fitness training
- Repair and maintenance of rowing shells and launches
- Highly organized
- Communicate effectively in oral and written form
- Communicate in a timely manner
- Demonstrate understanding of unique challenges of working with high school athletes
- Work well with the Board of Directors, Steering Committee, parents, rowers and other coaches
- Plan and execute area-wide recruiting for new rowers
This is a 12-month position with reduced hours during the summer. Our Head Coach must be available for practice, regattas, and summer camp. Summer camp responsibilities include recruitment of rowers and assistant coaches, pre-camp organization, and leading each day of the two week camp.
Selected applicants will be required to test and interview. All job offers are contingent on positive reference checks, appropriate background checks and successful completion of a drug/alcohol screen.
All new hires will be required to present proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States, in accordance with Form I-9 requirements.
South Eugene Rowing Club is an Affirmative Action Program/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. For more information about our program please visit: https://southeugenerowingclub.org.
- Four years rowing experience
- Experience coaching high school athletes
- Have or obtain US Rowing Level 2 or higher coaching certificate
- Safe driving record
- At least 21 years of age
- Have a valid Oregon Driver’s License
- Have or obtain a Red Cross First Aid Certificate including CPR
- Pass 4J School District background check
Interested candidates should e-mail a letter of interest along with resume, including rowing/coaching experience and references, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the job title for which you are applying in the email Subject line. Your resume should include relevant experience and/or education and previous employment dates. Attachments should be in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format.