Taking Internship Credit
Internship credit allows you to gain real-world experience while also earning academic credit for completing internship and class assignments. This class allows you to develop professional skills, explore career fields, and contribute to the mission of various organizations. You may also be able to earn credit for internships through your major department. Get started by talking to an advisor.
How to Participate
- Apply for and receive an internship offer.
- Ensure you and your internship satisfy the criteria.
- Fill out the internship credit application at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the academic term for which you are seeking credit.
Students will only be able to take this course two times. There are limited spots available each term. Students will be admitted on a first come, first served basis. Students who are not accepted are encouraged to try again the following term.
- The internship must be project-based or involve industry-specific learning activities or skill development.
- Unpaid internships that can be used for credit must follow the Fair Labor Standards Act internship criteria.
- The organization must define your position as an internship and allocate time and resources to identifying mutual goals and providing supervision, feedback, and evaluation.
- The site supervisor must provide orientations, training and feedback, conduct a mid-term conference, and complete a final written evaluation. Interns are expected to have direct and consistent contact with their supervisor.
- Interns should have a consistent internship schedule for the 10-week term.
- Internships are typically with off-campus organizations. Contact program staff if you would like to earn credit for a university internship.
- You cannot apply for credit after the internship is completed.
To earn one credit, you must complete 30 hours of internship work over a 10-week term. You can earn a maximum of 12 credits per term. You earn academic credit through the successful completion of acadamic assignments.
|Number of Credits||Hours Required per Term||Hours per Week|