The University Career Center is dedicated to ensuring equitable access for all our students. We stand against all types of racism, inequality, and discrimination. Our team believes inclusivity and belonging are essential in the work we do.

For resources within the University of Oregon, please visit the UO Dreamers Campus Resources.

This list of career resources, while extensive, is not complete. As such, we understand that there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and its protections and we will do our best to continue advocating for our students. We invite our students and alumni to contact us to provide any resources you believe are missing. Our collection of career resources is for students who identify as Dreamers. We use the term “Dreamers” to refer to Undocumented, Tuition Equity, and students of mixed-status families. To suggest additional resources email career@uoregon.edu.

Gaining Experience

To get started, begin building your résumé with industry-related experiences. These hands-on experiences will allow you to explore your interests while gaining valuable skills applicable to the workplace. Examples include:

  • Internships (paid internships can be taken through stipend programs)
  • Fellowships
  • Volunteer work
  • Research with a faculty member
  • Independent study/academic projects
  • Job shadowing experiences
  • Leadership role within student group/organization
  • Community organizing


On job applications, there is usually a question that says: “Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?”

  • If you have DACA you can answer “yes” to the question and continue through the hiring process without having to disclose more detailed information about your background. Once hired, employers should not ask you about how you received your work permit. If you did not apply for a social security number through DACA, read more about ITINs here.
  • If you do not have DACA or another work authorization status, there are other options you may consider for gaining experience and finding employment. See the section below for alternative employment options.
  • National Immigration Law Center
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) FAQ
  • NILC DACA and your Workplace Rights

Alternative Employment Options

If you do not have DACA or another work authorization status, you may consider other options for gaining professional experience, such as:

  • If you receive a paid internship or job offer, you may ask the employer not to be paid as a typical intern/employee. Instead, you may discuss with an employer the option of working as an independent contractor/freelancer. Independent contractors often do the same type of work, but instead of working for one employer, might work for multiple clients. Examples of independent contractor jobs include tutors or childcare providers. An independent contractor can use an Independent Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), which can be obtained regardless of immigration status.
  • You may also consider starting your own business, a Limited Liability Company (LLC) may be an option to consider. An LLC is composed of an individual or a group of people who are both workers and owners of a business. Click here for information on how to start your own business. For further assistance, the UO Business Law Clinic offers free legal services for Oregon business owners.

Interested in learning more about Entrepreneurship? Consider a Minor in Entrepreneurship for non-business students!

Entrepreneurship Resources

Additional Resources

  • Undocuprofessionals offers networking events, resources, workshops, mentorship programs, conferences, and collaboration opportunities.
  • CASA provides up-to-date information, resources, and a community for undocumented immigrants, including scholarship opportunities, strategies for navigating the educational system, and information on how to apply for DACA.
  • Immigrants Rising provides robust resources for undocumented youth and educators to empower students to reach their goals. Check out their Life After College Guide.
  • The DREAM Bar Association (DBA) is a nonprofit legal organization led by undocumented law students and practitioners that provides a network for undocumented immigrants who are interested in pursuing a career in law.
  • Parker Dewey offers short-term, paid professional micro-internships that are project-based. is required.
  • Pre-Health Dreamers (PHD) is a national network that provides support to undocumented students who are pursuing careers in health and science. You'll find scholarships and a list of health-related internships available to undocumented students.